In this episode of Boku No Stop! we're taking a break from Monster and returning to the place we first met in childhood: Neon Genesis Evangelion. That's right, for our second anniversary and the release of the film, we did a deep dive into Eva 3.0+1.01: Thrice Upon A Time, and we very thoroughly answer the question - did they stick the landing?
To everyone who's been with us since that first rough season, and those of you who joined up along the way: thank you so much, and we look forward to another two (and further!) years of content to come, because as long as they keep releasing one good anime per year, we've got all the content we need!
- There is no opening track/backing music on this episode because we're already pushing against the limits of filesize on Fireside with this three hour monster, and trying to get anything more complex than our voices would have crushed any bitrate to unlistenable levels. Take it from me, I tried.
- Since I did leave in one or two mentions of it: we were originally going to have friend-of-the-editor David Uzumeri as fourth chair on this episode, but scheduling didn't allow for it in the end. If you're the sort to wonder why him over anyone else: when you're cited on the Wikipedia page for NGE, you can also pull rank.
- In the interests of time I did not go down the Evangelion manga rabbit hole any further than I needed to, but the three mentioned are Sadamoto's adaptation (with Monster-style Kaworu), Angelic Days (the one that this film cribs a lot of territory from), and Shinji Ikari Raising Project (the second "episode 26 timeline" manga I never name on recording, but did mention in passing. It's very silly.)
- Speaking of manga, Matt pointed out after we recorded that the children's book "Rei" rents from the library is actually a work by Anno's wife, The Diary of Ochibi.
- Wondering what this episode art is? Learn about survivorship bias.
- If you're curious where episodes on the other Rebuild movies are, they're bonus content for BNS' first season on the Pitch Drop patreon (linked directly beneath this).
Support Us: Patreon
More Shows: Pitch Drop Network